Ian Auld first studied at Brighton College of Art and later at Slade, before moving to Baghdad in 1954 where he set up a ceramics department at the art school and travelled widely in India, Turkey and Iran. On return to England he taught at the Central School and Camberwell School of Art, during which time he made the large-scale slab built works for which he is best known. During the 1960s he shared a studio with Gillian Lowndes, later opening a shop in Camden Passage in Islington and continuing to teach at Bath Academy of Art and Bristol Polytechnic. After a brief but influential period spent in Nigeria in the early 70s he became head of ceramics at Camberwell in 1974. His students at Camberwell during this time included Henry Pim, Sara Radstone and Angus Suttie, and he is credited with playing a crucial role in creating a generation of radical and anti-traditionalist studio potters and making Camberwell the centre of new, exciting British ceramics at the time.